Jennie's Reviews > Bad Luck and Trouble

Nov 14, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010-reading-list
Read in November, 2010

This was my first Jack Reacher book. The series had caught my eye a couple of times before, but I had never managed to read one until now. I don't think it helped that days before reading this book, I ran across a conversation about how horrible these books were. Now, I get that they're airport fiction, and I generally don't mind that. Really, airport or beach fiction is fine and a lot of the authors I like would be classified as that.

However, I guess because I was on the lookout for errors, I noticed a lot more than I normally would? The plot is okay. I do think I will read more in the series, because I liked it enough to have at least a slight curiosity in what happens to the characters (or what brought them to this point). But, that said, it was the word choice and I don't want to say style, but in a way it was. I just... there were a lot of sentences were I thought words (or the sentences themselves) were redundant. I found myself asking why a lot of time -- why I just had to know X, why X was being brought up again and again, etc. I mean, I get that Reacher likes numbers. I get that Dixon does too. And I understand that in a way, number games were pretty important to the plot. But...not every number has to be in a number game. And I don't need to be constantly reminded of it.

Also, I felt the end didn't really resolve the book. I was kind of numb, in a way. My thought was literally "that's it?" Not because it was so amazing and I wanted to read more, but that I just didn't get why it ended there.

Look, the book had several short comings. And maybe I was a bit more critical than I normally would be. But I am going to read more in the series, so it's not a total loss. It could just be that this plot didn't stick with me well, and that another plot would be more interesting. *shrugs*
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Luck and Trouble.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

i love the reacher stories, they are great fun but this was in my opinion the weakest one. the first 5 or 6 are pretty good but then they tail off to varying degrees

definately try a few more if you can