Lisa Sperry's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

May 05, 12

bookshelves: owned
Read from May 04 to 05, 2012

** spoiler alert ** As much as I love this series I just couldn't give this book 5 stars. I couldn't stand Sebastian controlled Jace but I understood that. What truly annoyed me was that it took nearly 400 pages to figure out that Jace didn't actually want to be that way. I get that Clary needed to start to doubt that Jace wanted to be save but did it really need to take so long?! A small glimpse of the real Jace a little earlier in the book would have made it so much better to me. I know what about it I didn't like, and I understand why it was necessary, but it still bugged me to much to give the full 5 stars. Usually when I'm reading a book I've waited a year for I can't put it down or do anything else until I am done but with this I went to bed at a decent hour and did other stuff before I picked it up the next day. From about page 400 (a little before that actually) on I couldn't put it down though. I basically missed Jace throughout this whole book because even his witty comments just weren't the same under Sebastian's influence. Same words but they weren't delivered in the same way at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Virginia oh my god!!! Your review describes exactly how I feel about this book. I was afraid to read CoLS because deep down I knew that no matter how Cassandra would fix Jace's situation I was still going to hate the fact that I wasn't going to see the real Jace for most of the book.
I just hate that for the last 2 books of the series Jace, who's my favorite character, has not been the Hero, really Simon has been the one to save the day in both CoFA and CoLS (well, he and Clary saved the day in CoLS) I didn't even care much for Simon after city of Glass, but after CoFa and CoLS I absolutely love him

Lisa Sperry That is exactly how I feel about Simon too! I didnt like him at all and now all of a sudden he is this guy you can't help but love