Rea's Reviews > Instruments of Darkness

Instruments of Darkness by Imogen Robertson

Nov 14, 10

bookshelves: historical-mystery, mystery
Read in September, 2010

This book kept cropping up on listopias on Amazon and intreagued by all the very good reviews that it was receiving, I tracked it down and bought it. Although it wasn't really what I was expecting (not that I know exactly what that was) I really enjoyed the story. A dead man is discovered and linked to the local Lord's manor and what unravels is the sloving of a murder mystery from various clues left behind.

The first 1,000 words of this book were entered into a writing competition; it is easy to see why the judge's chose this intro as their winner. The book immediately draws the reader in and the author's flowing prose, very reminiscent of the English of that period, just served to make it an even more enjoyable read. Despite the fact that the culprit of the recent crime wave became obvious fairly early on in the story, I still found myself pushing myself to read further so that I could discover the motive for it all.

I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Instruments of Darkness.