Nicholas Karpuk's Reviews > Cienfuegos

Cienfuegos by Chris Deal

Nov 14, 2010

Read in November, 2010

This book is a tease. A delightful tease, but a tease nonetheless.

It's a short book filled with extremely short stories. As in none of them are longer than a page. Apparently it started its life as some sort of 100 word contest.

This just reminds me of the issue I often have with short story collections and short stories as a whole. I tend to like engaging in a story for the long term. I watch more shows with long term continuity, I like long books, I want to spend a good amount of time with a group of characters. Short subjects give me just enough time to get attached before they cut me off.

Cienfuegos is a long series of story starts that get me all ramped up before shutting me the hell down. It's a lot like Italo Calvino's "If On a Winter's Night a Traveler" because it's constantly introducing really interesting concepts and teasing me by constantly moving on. It's like looking through a thousand interesting windows, but not getting to look longer than ten seconds.

Deal is currently working on a novel. On the basis of this collection, I will most certainly read it. He's got a large store of imagination and skill. I feel like I've been given the sampler platter, so he'd best provide the meal post-haste!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cienfuegos.