Torzilla's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

I, like the majority of reviewers here, absolutely loved this book. And it's a contemporary to boot! (Which is something that I try to avoid like the plague)

The dialogue was probably my favorite part about this entire story. Perkins effortlessly captured the dynamics of a friendly, lighthearted conversation amongst friends whenever she had her characters interact. I found myself truly wishing I had friends like these people in high school, and that my friends and I had the easygoing atmosphere that seemingly followed this group around wherever they went.

I felt Anna and St. Clair's flirting/attraction ooze off the pages, which made me grin. I seriously cannot get over how lighthearted, fun, and flirty this book was. When dialogue is this successful, it's clear the author's got an intimate understanding of his/her characters. Anna, St. Clair, and the rest of the cast were three dimensional and well rounded. None were lacking. They will stick with me for a while.

If things couldn't get any better, the plot intrigued me too. I feel like I would have reacted the exact same way Anna did, had I been abandoned like she was in Europe. In high school, I always said how much I was dying to get out of the States and travel, yet deep down, I would never have the courage to do it alone. And, knowing my luck, I wouldn't make friends so quickly. But this plot? It would be the perfect way to experience a foreign country. And now I'm going to be daydreaming about the possibilities of not only traveling, but also of meeting new and exciting people.

This book has ruined me for paranormal romances. If all YA-contemporaries were like ANNA & THE FRENCH KISS, I think I would ditch my paranormal romances in a heartbeat; that is how much I adored this book. I enjoyed it so much it's in my top five list for the 2010 year. Perhaps even all time. I've already pre-ordered this title, and I know I will be rereading it often. Very often.

I want to learn French now, too.

I highly suggest checking out ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, no matter what type of reader you are. This is a refreshingly unique and brief read that is sure to appeal to anyone interested in traveling. Stephanie Perkins astonished me with the amount of humor in this book. So much, in fact, that she has now become an auto-buy for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

dateDown_arrow    newest »