Jessica Saylor's Reviews > Origins

Origins by L.J. Smith

Nov 18, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from November 13 to 18, 2010

Quick Overview: Though this book didn't live up to my expectations in any category, it was still worth the read as an average young adult book.

The Vampire Diaries television show on CW may pretty much be one of my favorite shows of all time. And when I heard there was going to be a book series based on my favorite character and future husband Stefan Salvatore, I was more than ecstatic. This series is one of the few exceptions in which the show is better than the book, in my opinion. So when I heard it was a prequel to the show and not the book, I was even happier. Finally, I would get a detailed book version of what happened. Not to mention cuddling up for hours with a book all about Stefan sounded great.

Unfortunately, this book lacked in a lot of ways.

The book made Katherine out to be a good character, yeah she was evil, but she didn't want to be. It was the other bad vampires doing all of the bad things. Um, hello? What television show were they watching? Katherine is the biggest bad ass of them all. Even this didn't bother me too much, until they kept the entire rest of the story completely true to what had been said in the show. Why change that one detail and keep the rest of it play by play? I just didn't understand it, and it just didn't work for me.

I am not sure who this book was written by. Not once does it say by L.J. Smith. It has her name on it, and the makers of the television show. But, plenty of people have told me it wasn't actually L.J. who wrote this, and after reading it, I could easily believe it. It wasn't that it was written poorly, it just wasn't written to my taste and I enjoyed the writing in Smith's other books. Had Smith actually wrote this book 100% herself, I feel like it would have been a little more true to Stefan.

Stefan, oh my Stefan. He is probably one of my favorite book characters of all time. Is it because his T.V. personality is smoking hot? Possibly. Is it because he comes along with a pretty hot and dangerous brother? Possibly. Either way, I feel like this book didn't give him enough credit. Granted, I am used to mature vegetarian Stefan who is wise and knows the ways of the world, but I felt like Stefan was a whiney immature child in this book. When at the time period, his seventeen years would've made him a man. Other than that I felt like the characters I had already grown to love saved this story in more ways than one.

Either way, I'm happy I got to spend a few hours with Stefan and his story. It wasn't as amazing as I had hoped this book would be, but it was still worth the read as an average young adult book. I cannot wait for book two. (That way I'll have Paul Wesley's face and Ian Somerholder's mug on meh bookshelf.)

"They call it the witching hour, that time in the middle of the night when no humans are awake, when creatures of the night can hear them breathing, smell their blood, watch their dreams unfold."
-Page One

Ending: 8/10
Cover: 8/10
=79/100 C
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Origins.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaitlyn I knew you would be reading this ;)

message 2: by Sindre (new)

Sindre Ellingsen Is this one good?

Jessica Saylor Haha of course, he is my boyfriend after all! :) And I'm not really far enough in to tell.

message 4: by Sindre (new)

Sindre Ellingsen ;D, You're just like my friends, except... They love Damond

message 5: by Ifmarybooks (new)

Ifmarybooks I want to read it ! Is it good ? :)

message 6: by Sindre (new)

Sindre Ellingsen Sindre wrote: ";D, You're just like my friends, except... They love Damond"

Me Too

Jessica Saylor Hey, I'd take either one! Lol the review is up now though: http://chapterchick.blogspot.com/2010...