Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > Anything But Typical

Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Nov 13, 10

bookshelves: books-i-would-teach, novel-preview-team
Read in November, 2010

I was given this book to read for the novel preview team at my school, and never have I wanted a book added to our curriculum more than this one. This book was beautifully written and is about an autistic boy who, while different on the outside, is not so different on the inside. Reading this book shows that he may act and think differently, but there is so much more to a person than that. Jason is a gifted writer who has wonderful stories that he shares on the internet. On a website, he is like everyone else, and no one knows how "different" he is.

I liked that throughout the novel Jason discusses different aspects of story writing. I think that will help some kids understand some of the literary terms. The figurative language in the novel is also excellent. There are many lines I loved that if I could, would pull them out here, but one of my favorites is from the very beginning, where Jason is talking about different things he does, and he says "these are the things they hear but can't hear." To me, this can be read two ways, though I like the second way better. First, that they - people - hear things but can't, or in other words, don't want to hear it. And the second way is that they might be able to hear it, but they don't don't hear what it means for the person making that noise or gesture. While it might be an annoying sound to them, it may be an indicator of something for another person.

I really connected to this book. I felt so much for Jason and his writing, and when he first decides to give up his writing, I cried. I hope many people pick up this book to read, and even if it does not make it through the preview team, this is a book I will share with my students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anything But Typical.