ann horton's Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

F_50x66
Jan 21, 08

Recommended to ann by: Newspaper review
Recommended for: Anyone who likes true crime stories, anyone who likes movie link-ups
Read in January, 2003

The date I read this book is a total guess - because I love it so much I've read it almost every year!
I discovered it after reading a review in a Sunday paper, obviously a well-written review as it prompted me to go and buy the book, something never achieved before or since! I sat in a restaurant alone and read, and read, and read until it was closing time. That must say something!
This true story totally captures the hot, sultry mood of Savannah, and goes at that pace - any faster and I do declare the heat would be too much for the reader!
Also unusually, I read the book then saw the movie, instead of vice versa, and was not disappointed by either.
I don't want to give it all away, but writer goes to Savannah for weekend, stays for months, meets the locals, becomes embroiled in murder, etc.
It's not a whodunnit, we know whodunnit, it's a beautiful character description - of everyone in the book, of Savannah itself and of life in the South. Gorgeous!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.