Joanne's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Karin Slaughter

Nov 13, 10

Read in November, 2010

I have read all of the books in this series and think highly of them. I was shocked that Jeffrey was killed off. This has created tension between Dr. Sarah, Jeffrey's wife, who blames one of his officer's, Lena. Sarah is convinced that Lena is out of control and responsible for Jeffrey's death. Sarah wants to discredit Lena and see her pay for her wrongdoings. When Sarh comes home for Thanksgiving, she is confrotnign with all she left behind after her husband's deatn. Lena is called to investigate a likely suicide of a college girl at the lake. it is neither suicide not the end of the conflict between Sarah and Lena.

The plot is compelling and the tension is high... until the end. It is wrapped up to quickly. As the story unwidns, Sarah is attached to Gerorgia Bureau of Investigations detective Will Trent, who is dyslexic. Sarah realizes Will's difficiencies and is willing to help him. But she is still out to crucify Lena, who is now involved with Jeffrey's son.

After all is said and done, Lena rides off to take a job in Macon. No mention of Sarah and Will. While I hope we see Lena emerge more in future novels, I fear we will get more of Sarah and Will. Sarah is getting very boring as a the one dimensional character she is. While Will has challenges, everyone helps him. Lena is far more compelling as a human who struggles with life and doesn't always do what is right. Can't we all related to her? i hpoe Ms. Salughter agrees. I don't think she will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.