Megan Marie's Reviews > The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder

The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from November 13, 2010 to January 02, 2011

Wow, is about the only way to describe this book. I always forget how much I love reading Rebecca Wells until I pick up the book and subsequently cannot put it down. As with most of Wells' books this one is set in the heart of Louisiana and tells the story of Calla Lily Ponder and her life growing up in La Luna. The town is named for the river that runs through it and on to the Mississippi. The story follows Calla from birth on and while that may sound uninteresting you couldn't be more wrong.
It is kind of hard to describe but the story is full of love and emotion that for a lot of people is difficult to convey. Calla and her friends and family have a connection that some people go their whole lives without ever having. Everyone is always there for each other and often enough at odds as well.
The story sets itself around the Ponder's house where M'Dear, Calla's mother, owns and operates The Crown and Glory Beauty Porch. People from all around come to get their hair done by my dear who some believe can heal with the touch of her hand. This gift had been passed on to Calla who uses this gift to study in New Orleans upon her graduation from high school. She spends ten years there and after tragedy strikes she moves back home to La Luna to do what she has always dreamed of. Opening The Crown and Glory and expand of the traditions her parents began.
Along with many precious moments between Calla and friends there are also many devestating points to this book. I was literally bawling at certain times while reading. The book is full of contrasts and the ups and downs of normal everyday life. It makes me feel good when an author writes the character as simple and down home and that she overcomes everything thrown at her.
I can't wait to see what else Ms. Wells writes. I'm kind of hoping for an extension of this book but I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder.

11/13/2010 page 58