May-Ling's Reviews > Cooking Green: Reducing Your Carbon Footprint in the Kitchen--the New Green Basics Way

Cooking Green by Kate Heyhoe

Jan 09, 11

bookshelves: foodie, saving-the-world
Read in January, 2011

this book is only for the hardcore green enthusiast. basically, it's a handbook for greening your kitchen - from how and what you eat, to the tools you use. i skimmed over quite a bit in the organic/local/veg sections, since we're pretty much bought into all of that.

otherwise, i feel pretty affirmed in the tools that i'm using and received some good recommendations about cookware, since we're ridding ourselves of the non-stick pans this year to purchase greener options. this book gave me some solid guidelines.

also, i feel comfortable with my main appliances that i use, and it was good to hear (although i felt i knew it already) that the electric kettle saves a ton of energy and effort. i use it for everyone from my daily earl grey to starting boiling water for pasta. she praises the rice cooker and also an immersion blender, which i don't have, but it's on my list of appliances to get one day. this month, i plan to get a new toaster (that's been on the list for a couple years), but after reading about oven consumption, it's time to finally invest in a good quality one. ours has been around since i was a baby. :)

i believe that heyhoe's recommendations about how to cook would only be adopted by seriously committed people. things like passive boiling, boiling while you steam, reusing cooking water and capturing water used for cleaning dishes are more inconvenient methods for the average person. they are still great recommendations and i do believe that daily green actions people take change the world, so the advice was worth incorporating, despite the fact that i have my doubts about overall adoption.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cooking Green.