Nicole's Reviews > Solitary

Solitary by Alexander Gordon Smith
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
782203
's review
Jan 08, 11

Read in January, 2011

The kid on the cover kind of looks like my ex-boyfriend. Creepy.

Solitary kept me on the edge of my seat the entire story, but by the end of it I wanted to throw the book against the wall. So much happened - but the story didn't go anywhere. So much happened for Alex to be in the exact same spot he was at the end of Lockdown.

I mean, I loved reading it. Smith knows how to get you hooked into a story, how to grab you by the end of your nose and yank you into it and make you stay until the end. I wanted to know what happened to Alex - actually, I lie. I wanted to know what happened to Zee and Donovan (poor Donovan!); Alex, though interesting, is not my favorite character. But my favorite character is rarely the main character in books, so this is understandable.

I liked the new characters that were introduced, mainly because they kept the plot going. None of them were particularly well developed, at least not yet - maybe we'll see more of that in the third book. (Death Sentence comes out this June.)
likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solitary.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa (YA Book Shelf) Just wondering why this review didn't mention that it had spoilers in it.


Nicole Melissa (YA Book Shelf) wrote: "Just wondering why this review didn't mention that it had spoilers in it."

Only spoilers if you've read the first one in the series, which I'd assume you'd have if you're reading the review. I say that things happen, not what happens. Hopefully, in a book, things happen. So no spoilers.


Melissa (YA Book Shelf) Nicole wrote: "Melissa (YA Book Shelf) wrote: "Just wondering why this review didn't mention that it had spoilers in it."

Only spoilers if you've read the first one in the series, which I'd assume you'd have if ..."


That's exactly what I meant about the spoiler - that you imply the ending for those who've read the first book. If you've written something under the assumption that people would only read it had the read the first book, well...that's a spoiler.


Nicole Why are you reading the review of a sequel if you haven't read the first book? I'm not going to say there are spoilers because, for this book and this review, there isn't any.


Melissa (YA Book Shelf) I have read the first book, which is what makes it a spoiler because you say that the second ends the same way that first did. Which is a spoiler.


Nicole Melissa (YA Book Shelf) wrote: "I have read the first book, which is what makes it a spoiler because you say that the second ends the same way that first did. Which is a spoiler."

Well then that's different than what you said previously, and it's not really a spoiler because I could be referencing half a dozen things. I didn't think it to be a spoiler; if you did, I apologize.


Melissa (YA Book Shelf) No, before I said, "you imply the ending for those who've read the first book." I think you misread what I said, but that's okay.

You're right, it could be a number of different things. I assumed when I read it that you meant something in particular, something kind of major to the plot of the series. But when you say that, I realize that there could be other things meant by it. Thanks for the apology, and I apologize if there were any misunderstanding on your part about what I said as well.


Nicole Melissa (YA Book Shelf) wrote: "No, before I said, "you imply the ending for those who've read the first book." I think you misread what I said, but that's okay.

You're right, it could be a number of different things. I assumed..."


I think I probably did. :P No matter. It's all good!


back to top