Estara's Reviews > Magic Slays

Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2011
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy author
Recommended for: fans of the series
Read from June 01 to 03, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Okay, this definitely is NOT the book to start the series with. It has a very action-filled and revelation-filled plot concerning a lot of plot threads that were set up in the prior books, so read those first!

I loved the focus on the developing relationship between Curran and Kate themselves, now that the internal situation with the pack has been settled (in the previous book). The Julie and Andrea developments were logical extension of what had been obvious before and the introduction of Asanio was a nice bonus.

I'm a bit thrown by the Roman/Andrea hints, especially as there was no Raphael in this book. I'm also very interested in finding out how Andrea and Aunt B will finally come to terms. And can I just say how great it is to have Russian mythology (and language) that I can be sure is authentic show up in this world, with all the family connections but also nods to Baba Yaga and a poignant/unexpected connection to Kate.

This was my major love in the book - finding out about Kate mother's background: the good and sad things. Seeing her deal with all the consequences and ending up stronger in her relationships to others (the way Curran and she deal with the other's needs and hang-ups is just so very them: (view spoiler)).

She's a brilliant unreliable narrator. She never knows why people come to her for advice and feedback, but she simply and honestly tells it like she sees it, and because she has been through such a tough life already she becomes an authority on dealing with emotional pain and enduring and of simple acceptance of these feelings in others.

Her killer nature was played up more than in the last few books, because the threat was less concrete for a big part of the book, if much more potentially lethal than a lot of the enemies before this book - her aunt probably excepted. I think we needed the reminder what with the new knowledge she had to acquire and the price she had to pay for it ((view spoiler)).

I wanted more pages, though. More with the creation of her new team, more with Julie, more with the witches and volvhs, more interaction with the pack. Just more, heh ^^.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Slays.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chachic Hey, I had the same reaction with the Roman/Andrea bits! I kept thinking, "where are they going with this?" I feel bad for Raphael. :(

Katharine Kimbriel Looking forward to this one!

Estara Katharine wrote: "Looking forward to this one!"

I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed ^^.

message 4: by Sho (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sho I was happy to read about Baba Yaga, too. It reminded me of all those folklores I used to love reading as a child! I really can't wait for the next book to see what happens with Julie, too. I wonder if Raphael will be coming back to the mix making even more the situation complicated.

Estara I really think the situation around Andrea HAS to be adressed. I mean she SLAPPED her own alpha!! And has broken off with her alpha's beloved and indulged son, who has vanished who knows where...

And she has been totally outed at the Order, who are still holding her own private guns... I hope that will be the secondary plot thread in the next book.

Chachic I'm hoping that there's more about Andrea's situation in the next book too! I have a feeling Raphael will appear by then.

Estara If they do a big resolution of Andrea's situation, he HAS to appear. Especially with a hint of a potential rival showing up this time.

Chachic I do hope Andrea's situation gets resolved, I feel so sad for her. In other news, have you read Jim and Dali's story in Hexed?

Estara No, I still have to buy that. Like Angela James, I would only buy the anthology for that one story... I'm not yet willing to do so, heh. Maybe they'd offer a spin-off single-novella ebook thing? But probably only next year. I will have to ruminate...

Chachic Yep, they'll probably do that next year since that's what they did with Magic Mourns.

message 11: by Sho (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sho I seriously look forward to reading that short story!! I just bought the Andrea's novella!

Estara Sho wrote: "I seriously look forward to reading that short story!! I just bought the Andrea's novella!"

Oh, that's a lovely one. Especially the beginning when Kate has to bail her out of jail ^^.