Elizabeth 's Reviews > Deerskin

Deerskin by Robin McKinley

Nov 13, 10

bookshelves: fiction-fantasy
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** DISCUSSION OF TRIGGERS. This is That Book. The one that includes rape and incest in the text as important plot points and does not even imply them on the jacket copy as elements.

Luckily, I do not have triggers around either topic, but if I had, it would not have gone well for me. The plot is basically about recovery from incestuous rape with a crouton of survivalism on top and a drizzle of YAY PUPPIES.

It was certainly compelling reading, and Ossin was a completely awesome love interest, but I kind of wanted McKinley *not* to follow the pattern of giving Lissar a love interest (and such an obvious one, too, that really disappointed me). If she had to fall in love with anyone, it should've been the handmaiden. (*sulks and wants moar lesbian fantasy*) And I want to know why McKinley thought it was a better idea for her to become part of a life at the royal court as part of her recovery rather than returning to being an herbalist's apprentice, which is the only part of her life that she remembers.

I don't own this, and I am not buying it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deerskin.