Aaron's Reviews > Gone, Baby, Gone

Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane

Nov 17, 10

Read from November 13 to 26, 2010

Gone, Baby, Gone is the first book of Dennis Lehane I have read and I am aware there are three books preceding it. I decided to read this as I wanted to read his most recent installment in this series Moonlight Mile, which is based on the events that occurred in Gone, Baby, Gone.

I felt the early part of the book fell into the typical mystery genre pattern of setting up the details of the case and surrounding information. These early chapters did not flesh out the characters greatly and really provided a set-up for the rest of the books action. It paced well, but was not deep on character development and story. But, once I got past the initial chapters, the characters began to take on their own personalities. I can see why Kenzie and Gennaro are so popular, they are deeply devoted to doing what is right at any cost, with their own flaws and hang us. They are truly compelling characters that seem to have some questionable means of delivering justice. This alone makes me want to read the earlier novels.

The story was a little transparent, I had actually figured one of the running plots out fairly early in the book. But it is still a well written roller coaster of a book, with some of the contents are stunningly gruesome.

I can't wait to read more as the end of this book definably leaves the reader wanting to know more about the Kenzie/Gennaro developing story.

I think all readers will enjoy this book, not just fans of mystery and crime fiction. It's characters are well developed, fully formed human beings that further project a sense of humanness to the story and not just a simple story about crime. In this book we see and feel their reactions to the world around them and the sometimes horrific events they witness, not just a third person authors perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone, Baby, Gone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Hi Aaron;
Nice review. Thanks for posting it.
Mike Draper