abatage's Reviews > Complete Works of William Shakespeare

Complete Works of William Shakespeare by William Shakespeare

Dec 04, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read from November 13 to December 04, 2010

There's not a lot to say about this collection - it's everything Shakespeare wrote - and while that's something to marvel every now and then, I'm not a fan of everything he's written. It's not until you wade through an edition such as this that you realise just how many historical plays he wrote, and by the time you get to Henry VIII, it's wearing a little thin.

It's Shakespeare's language that saves his plays for me - he certainly has a poetic way of putting things. However, for my money, each play melds into the next and it begins to get a little confusing with all the characters who have different names, but share similar traits.

The plots become a wash of 'typical' as well. Sure Richard III is a villainous nutter, but his actions don't seem all that different to any other of the jealous zealots that inhabit other tales.

Shakespeare is worth it for the prose, there's no denying his ability to wield a pen, but the rest is dated and despite his fame, it's all too much of the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

dateDown_arrow    newest »