♥Xeni♥'s Reviews > A Night in the Country

A Night in the Country by Kitti Bernetti

Nov 13, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: erotica, xcite, short-story, older-woman-younger-man, ebook
Read on November 13, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Okay, the beginning is really odd. I haven't heard of anyone who gets off on driving a car, and feeling the engine purr under them. Maybe if it had been written like "her super hot [sportscar name] which she loved more than anything else in the world" that would have made sense, but just any old car engine? Minus point for unrealistic.

Of course, after that it doesn't get any better. Even if it's a short story, a bit of explanation would be useful for the reader (i.e. why do they both hate Gina?). Also, can we get away from the cliche male in tight leather trousers? I have never ever seen a leather clothing store in all of Germany, and those in America weren't all that abundant either. Still, after all that, I have seen maybe a handful of people actually wearing leather trousers... especially at home!

What was up with the whole ghost scene? At first the portrait / ghost was a primary focus, then the author totally forgot that she was writing about him, had Vanessa finish, and then fall asleep, all without another mention. (Better would have been Guy sneaking into her room via the portrait.)

I don't really usually go for the older woman-younger man deal but it wasn't obnoxiously written in this story. Plus point for that.

I liked how it was ambiguous if the ghost really existed or not, but I still maintain that it could have been written better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night in the Country.