Shell's Reviews > Not Alone

Not Alone by Sonja Spencer

Nov 15, 10

Recommended to Shell by: Michele& Jeff Book Reviews Reviews

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 Stars

This story is set in a cozy little town. One of those places where everyone knows everyone else and they all can share stories of one another from when they were 5 years old. There's nothing wrong with that, it's rather comforting and sweet, in fact, but what happens when you throw a big city, out and proud man from New York into the middle of it? In this book, good fun, that's what.

Andy Parker is an aspiring author and recently single man from New York. He's come down to a small lake resort town to live in a cabin that was bequeathed to him by his uncle and he's lonely. Eddie Ferguson owns Ferguson's, the family grocery story in the town where he was born and raised and is a divorced dad with two daughters, ages 11 and 13.

When Eddie helps Andy retrieve a bottle of creamy vinaigrette from the top of one of the shelves at Ferguson's, the two men introduce themselves to one another and Andy ends up inviting Eddie over for a friendly dinner. Only it's not like any friendly dinner I've ever had. Apparently, I've been doing my friendly dinners all wrong; penis size, toys, and sex are what you are really supposed to discuss. Now, doesn't that just make you want to invite some people over and cook up a batch of lasagna?

That first dinner establishes the foundation for a solid and sweet friendship; one that continues for months, slowly progressing into something more, but neither man knows how the other feels and it takes a night out at a gay club for anything to really transpire between the two. Once it does though, a passionate, emotionally charged relationship is formed and although it wasn't set in stone at the end of the book, it gave me the feeling that it was a happily-ever-after sort of relationship.

This was a charming gay-for-you and friends-to-lovers tale. I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for a sweet, mostly angst-free read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Alone.