Kristine's Reviews > Paint it Black

Paint it Black by Janet Fitch

Mar 10, 08

Read in February, 2008

uggh. i loved janet fitch's WHITE OLEANDER, and now i am doubting whether my memory actually serves me right. this book is so poorly-written: 400 pages of little more than melodrama, unrealistic scenes, lame dialogue, and unresolved problems. and the sentences themselves infuriate me. here is an example of what i think fitch meant to be a powerful ending to chapter 20, to demonstrate how the main character misses her dead boyfriend:

"She lay on the couch for the rest of the morning, like some crazy girl in a locked ward crying and masturbating all the day long."

really? REALLY? THAT'S supposed to be good? "All the day long"? For real? And where's the second comma?

i am annoyed that i finished it. the ending is just as stupid as the above paragraph. i didn't buy these characters, much less care about them. it was supposed to take place in 1980s punk rock LA art scene and felt totally inauthentic, as were the uneducated white trash 20-year-old punk rock girl's extensive knowledge of french literature and classical music. SIGH.

sucked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paint it Black.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Noelle Peterfi She had extensive knowledge of french literature and classical music from her boyfriend...

I don't really understand how you didn't catch that. Michael was very smart and educated and he told her all about the things he knew. She picked up at lot of things from him.

Kristine sure i "caught that." i just didn't buy it. the entire book felt inauthentic to me.

Noelle Peterfi I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.