Wendy Ann's Reviews > Amor En Retrogrado

Amor En Retrogrado by A.M. Riley

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: app-ereader, career-fire-police-law, theme-life-challenge, sex-partner-mm, genre-mystery-thriller, series
Read from November 14 to 17, 2011

I definitely enjoyed the murder mystery element of this book; it kept me guessing until the end about the outcome. On the other hand, I really had mixed feelings about the romance/relationship aspect of the book.

Much of the story surrounding the main characters, Robert and JD, comes through flashbacks and very little in current time. I don’t recall ever reading a story where the main characters were so flawed and they never really made it out of the struggling aspect of their relationship – the ending showed promise, but 15 years of struggling history does not an easy road make.

The secondary characters added a lot of depth to the story and I’m guessing set up the background for the sequel. I’m intrigued enough to move on to the sequel and see what happens despite feeling vaguely dissatisfied with the direction of the first book. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy flawed characters and angst in my books, but I guess I like to feel that the main characters are still right for each other. I had the nagging sense of a fatal attraction in this book – almost that they really would have been better off without each other.

Great mystery, some great recent history references (AIDS, Rodney King, etc.), challenging romance – just might be your thing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amor En Retrogrado.