Misha 's Reviews > What Is Left the Daughter

What Is Left the Daughter by Howard Norman

Dec 04, 10

bookshelves: literary-fiction, history
Read from November 21 to 23, 2010

When I started reading the book, I was so sure it would be a 5 star read . But by the time, I had reached the middle, it became a little dull at parts.Don't get me wrong! This is still an amazing novel, just not as great as I expected.

This book is written in the form of Wyatt, the narrator's letter to his daughter - a sort of confession.
Wyatt is someone I sympathized a lot with. His parents' double suicide changed his life forever. What I really admired was Wyatt admitted to all his mistakes and never held back from admitting everything to his daughter.He described his life in an unbiased, honest manner which made me genuinely care for him.

What is Left the Daughter also offers a glimpse on the prevailing paranoia during the war. Suspicion, hatred, prejudice prevailed in the hearts of people. A German was detested no matter what, even if innocent of all wrongdoings.

Though it seemed to drag at times, it is still a beautifully written book that will linger in your mind. Its heartbreaking and won't be easy to forget.

Favorite Quote:
"In The Highland Book of Platitudes, Marlais, there's an entry that reads, "Not all ghosts earn our memory in equal measure." I think about this sometimes. I think especially about the word "earn," because it implies an ongoing willful effort on the part of the dead, so that if you believe the platitude, you have to believe in the afterlife, don't you? Following that line of thought, there seem to be certain people—call them ghosts—with the ability to insinuate themselves into your life with more belligerence and exactitude than others—it's their employment and expertise."

Overall:
Haunting and thought-provoking...

Recommended?
Yes! Especially if you loved Atonement by Ian McEwan
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Is Left the Daughter.

11/21/2010 page 100