Nile daughter's Reviews > Mornings in Jenin

May 28, 11

bookshelves: arabs-fiction, palestine-cause
Recommended to Nile daughter by: Aamir
Read from May 05 to 28, 2011

This book is simply about what does mean be a Palestinian …I tried to a write a review but I could not collect the right thoughts , so here are the quotes that represent what I got from the book :

" The future can't breathe in refugee camp, The air here is too dense for hope"

"Growing up in a landscape of improvised dreams and abstract national longings, everything felt temporary to me . Nothing could be counted on to endure , neither parents nor siblings nor home. Not even one's body, vulnerable as it was to bullets."

"The roots of our grieve coil so deeply into loss that death has come to live with us like a family member who makes you happy by avoiding you , but who is still one of the family . our anger is a rage that westerners cannot understand . our sadness can make the stone weep . and the way we love is no exception "

"On March 20 , a suicide bomber had killed seven Israelis in the Galilee , which was in relation for Israel's killing of thirty one Palestinians on March 12 , which was in relation for the killing of eleven Israelis on March 11 , which was on relation for Israel's killing of forty Palestinians on March 8 , and on and on "

Here is the finally summary wrote by Amal (one of the main protagonists)

" the story of one family in an obscure village , visited one day by a history that was not its own , and forever trapped by longing between roots and soil .It was a tale of war , its chilling , burning and chilling again fire .Of furious love and a suicide bomber . of a girl who escaped her destiny to become a word , drained of its meaning . Of grown children sifting through the madness to find their relevance. Of a truth that pushed its way through lies , emerging of a crack , a scar , in a man's face . "

N.B
* I have to point out to anyone who thinks of the book as *biased*, even though there is no beautiful portrait of Israel as a state or her military representation, Jewish people in the book were not demons, nor in flat presentation or black and white figures , they were just people and there were parts in the book that there was so deep human interactions between the both sides . and after all this book is the Palestinian POV.

* For the book style , as an Arab reader I find some parts turned to be American *some how* for me (like using the ocean expression) ,also some parts dropped out of my hands ...not enjoyable to follow at the beginning , this improved by moving on , so it did not affect the novel as a whole to read ,and this where the 5th star went .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mornings in Jenin.

05/07/2011 page 25
7.0% ""They want a Jewish state , but I think they'll let the Arabs stay " the words came out Ari could not stop them - "So these immigrants will let me stay on my own land?" Hasan's voice rose."
05/16/2011 page 50
14.0% "the refugees rose from thier agitation to the realization that they were slowly being erased from the world, from its history and from its future ."
05/18/2011 page 104
30.0% "How does part of the wourld leave the world ?how can wetness leave water?...what hurts you blesses yoy ...darkness is your candle.your boundaries are your quest."
05/26/2011 page 280
80.0% "Love cannot reconcile with deception.And it cannot become inured to existence paied with the currency of anther's misery ."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

VivaPalestina ""They want a Jewish state , but I think they'll let the Arabs stay "

Perfect