Deidre's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: attempted-reading
Recommended for: no one

I tried to read this book. I really did. With all the hype around it, I decided to put an honest effort into reading it, and seeing if maybe I could get caught up in something.

Well, at least I can say I tried.

I couldn't even get past the first half, which is apparently a shame, since nothing happens that isn't Bella fawning over Edward and his awesome, amazing body until the very end. There was so much heavy breathing and thoughts of "Why is he looking at me? Why ISN'T he looking at me? Oh my God, doesn't he like me? If he doesn't, I'm going to go into a bathroom and cry for hours.. Wah."

Bella is an awful, flat, and atrociously boring character. Period. She's weak, smitten, and a ridiculous female protagonist. She made me want to trade in my vagina for a female character that doesn't rely on someone else rushing in to rescue her out of situations into which she seems to continuously fall. Her character makes it the status quo for women to be okay with not being of any value whatsoever unless they're attached in some way, shape or form to a man, which made the feminist in me want to slap her through the pages of the book.

Plus, the rest of the cast of characters was so flat and badly developed through the pre-teen style of writing, I couldn't find myself intrigued or interested in ANY of their lives, and really didn't care what happened to them. They could have all died in a huge flood and I wouldn't have cared an ounce. That lack of feeling was also in part due to the complete lack of plot, I'm sure. I felt rather like I was reading a "Napoleon Dynamite" style book, where events just kept happening for the sake of happening, not for any sort of plot enhancement.

Ridiculous book. I didn't even bother to finish, since I felt like I was losing IQ points just by attempting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.