Mary's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: police-procedurals

I was hoping to have discovered a "new" series to enjoy since this book is apparently the sixth Inspector Gamache adventure but sadly I was not that impressed. I enjoyed the tidbits of Quebec history and the descriptions of Old Quebec but the story itself lagged and finally just became uninteresting. It didn't help that there were three seperate plots to keep track of. Sometimes this kind of writing works but not in this case, it was just annoying, mainly because one or possibly two of the plot threads were heavily based on previous "cases" (i.e. the first five novels in the series, I assume) with which I, being new to this fictional version of the Surete du Quebec, am entirely unfamiliar. The overly descriptive and fragmentary writing style took some getting used to and the complex interior emotional lives of the main characters were, frankly, boring. By the time I got to the ending, with its several last-minute reveals, I just didn't care anymore. My favorite character by far turned out to be Henri, the Inspector's German Shepherd.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janell Maybe you should start with #1. I think you might change your mind. This one would have been a handfull, if I hadn't read all the others. Instead, these characters are like old friends, and I am glad to spend any time with them.

Annie I'd agree with that. The historical aspect was really interesting, but it was hard to get the stories straight. Maybe it would've been easier to understand had I read the first books in the series.

Casey I definitely agree that this would be a challenging entry point to the series. I picked up the first novel and enjoyed it so much that I've read through the rest in just over two weeks.

Anne Mowat I loved it. I love how she brings Quebec (and Canada) to life. I found the multiple plot lines, the slow unravelling of the story very powerful. I like that she speculated on the possible betrayal of Montcalm. But I think most of all, I love how she immerses us in place and how her characters are kind, courteous, careful people...like most of us!

message 5: by Les (new) - rated it 4 stars

Les I agree, start earlier in the series. This would be a tough one to begin with, but when you've met the characters and know the back stories it really helps.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda This book makes no sense unless you've read the previous ones. Very deep and intricate involving prior events and resultant emotions.

Olga You should read the previous books in the series. It is a mistake to start this series from this particular book. I would say at least read the preceding one in the series.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann I happen to agree with Mary, and rate it as the same. Disjointed and at times annoying. I did enjoy the descriptions of Quebec.