Shari's Reviews > Indemnity Only

Indemnity Only by Sara Paretsky

Nov 13, 10

bookshelves: graduate-school-books, mysteries
Read from November 12 to 13, 2010

I really enjoyed this book, though I felt the plot had a couple of holes and confusing elements (perhaps that is what Paretsky meant when she said she herself would change a few things, though not many). I do want to read more of the V.I. Warshawski novels at some point. I read one years and years ago and remember liking it, but this first does a great job of characterizing her and getting you into her corner. The pseudonym 'Anita Hill' obviously would have been changed had the book been written some ten years later, and I couldn't shake the connection even though the two are completely unrelated. Some of the technology references are unintentionally hilarious, because the book was written in 1980/1981 and the story takes place in 1979. For example, toward the end of the story Vic is grateful that two characters decided to "stay close to the phone" rather than going out to look for her--this clearly would not have been an issue in the age of cell phones! Overall, a quick and engaging read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indemnity Only.

11/12/2010 page 217