Jules's Reviews > Life

Life by Keith Richards

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, sent-4-review, gift-worthy, reviewed

I've always been a major music lover and the Rolling Stones have always been represented in my albums, cassettes, cds, and now mp3s. (Yes, I'm admitting I'm old.) I usually don't read or listen to biographies, especially autobiographies. This one appealed to me though because Keith Richards is such a fascinating character. I immediately think of the scratchy voiced, somewhat scary drugged out rock and roll genius who made music that will stay relevant for decades to come. Anyone who grew up in the 60s thru the 90s knows who he is because of the music and heavily publicized bad behaviour. The much younger set can also now say that he's Captain Jack Sparrow's father, Captain Teague in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

That leads to the point that the narration for this lengthy 20 cd audiobook is provided by none other than Captain Jack himself, Johnny Depp. Rocker, balladeer, actor Joe Hurley also does some of the reading with his lovely Irish(y) gravelled voice. Their vocals along with the immediately recognizable tones of Mr. Richards give a fantastic feeling to this very in-depth telling of the LIFE and times of this rock and roll legend.

I was really amazed and rather pleased that this wasn't a glossed over version of "The Keef's" life as he saw it. He shares the nitty gritty details and incidents that he probably should have forgotten as well as some of the better times. He doesn't pull any punches and pretty much lets it all hang out - the good and the bad about himself and others involved. Controversy and drama could have completely done in this man and the band. But most of them eventually acknowledged the fact that the music was what mattered to them and was what it all came down to. Hearing some of the intimate details of this very public man made for an outstanding look into what celebrity can do to a person and those around him.

This is an extremely personal look into the life of a man who has lived. It may not be a life that most of us would choose or be proud of, but he has lived it to the fullest and is courageously sharing it with the world. I highly recommend this audiobook to fans of the Stones, music-lovers, the curious, and just about any (adult) that enjoys a really good story - that just happens to be true. (I plan to get the hardcover version of this book too, but I want to note that it was a brilliant move to get Johnny Depp and Joe Hurley - they made the audiobook version for me.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life.