Stephanie's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Jan 21, 08

bookshelves: badgirls, greatfnwriting
Recommended to Stephanie by: book club selection
Recommended for: anybody who is ready to pack it in for La Vie Boheme
Read in January, 2008

Never have I been so pleasantly surprised by a book as I have by Loving Frank. Although I was familiar with Frank Lloyd Wright's work when I read this, I had no idea how fascinating his personal life was. Apparently, the guy had a knack for luring women away from their home and families. This book is about the most fascinating of his many mistresses, Mamah Borthwick Cheney. What made an erudite mother of two leave her family and exalted social status to live in the wilds of Wisconsin with her lover? Read this book to find out!

Although the source material is undeniably fascinating, you can never be sure that a book of historical fiction is going to be good reading...so often, writers coast on the natural drama of the story, but bring very little of themselves to the book. Not so with this novel. Nancy Horan's writing is insightful but unobtrustive. Although her protagonist isn't terribly sympathetic, the author manages to get her mindset across in a way that's compelling and realistic. This book has one of the most shocking endings I've ever come across. Do yourself a favor and refrain from Wikipedia searches while you're midway through the story. That way, you can fully enjoy the impact of this remarkable book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.