April 's Reviews > Skinned

Skinned by Robin Wasserman

Nov 12, 10

bookshelves: book-discussions-at-the-library
Read in November, 2010

Lia Kahn is dead, but that ends up just being the beginning when she gets downloaded into an artifical body/mech and returned to her "normal" life.

And if that sounds like an awesome idea for a novel? That's because it is an absolutely awesome idea. I literally could not put this book down.

It's really amazing how Wasserman turns Lia being made into a mech version of her former self into a sort of story any teenager can relate to about the bullying, isolation, and struggles one faces for being different. Of course Lia also struggles with being able to feel, having a place in her own life, and finding someone to understand her.

But this isn't a book where the future technology and makeovers are there for show. Wasserman never takes the easy way out and there is nothing comfortable or simple about Lia's situation or the world she lives in. I'm glad about that too because that was always my issue with Uglies and a lot of YA fiction. And because of that Lia is a very strong female character and intensely enjoyable to follow around.

Basically if you like anything relating to robots, Battlestar Galactica, or any of the crazy future tech-filled dystopia fiction that's been coming out, this book will be perfect for you. And you will be so pleased by how well it's written and the level of thought, care, and work put into this novel which is the first of a trilogy. (And the last book recently came out so now's a good time to start it.)

My only criticism with this book is the insane typos in one section where a female character and male character end up with the same name for roughly two pages. Totally not the author's fault or doing, however.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinned.