Ang's Reviews > Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine

Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrmann

Nov 12, 10

Though it took me a long while to get into this book, when I finally did I was hooked. I think Dohrmann started out just a little slow--the first third of the book felt glacially-paced to me. But as the boys age, the story really picks up, and it's really a very informative and interesting read. For anyone who likes sports, and especially basketball, I feel as if this is a must-read. I have seen the LeBron James documentary (the one that starts with him playing in AAU basketball), but that film gave NO voice to the other side of AAU basketball, and I was glad to learn about it.[return][return]I wish the stories had happier endings, in some instances. But it's real life, and I wish that because I felt that I came to know some of the boys in the book. Which just goes to show how well this book is written, I suppose. Anyway, I highly recommend this book; keep slogging through the early slow-going, and it's definitely a rewarding read. I'm really glad I came away with a free copy. Highly enjoyable.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play Their Hearts Out.