Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Treasure Island

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

May 07, 12

bookshelves: el-clasico, fat-kitty-judges-you, kill-it-with-fire, reviewed-2011, masters-of-snoozeville, i-am-disappoint, 1001-books
Recommended for: i have no idea...
Read from July 18 to 24, 2011, read count: 1

Never trust a pirate.

I really love pirates… even though I try to ignore the fact that they’re dirty, rapists, murderers, alcoholics, thieves… aaah many bad things but still, I like the concept so here I am reading this book. Since it’s summer I tend to go towards these stories. One of my wishes is to become a pirate for a determinate amount of time. I’d love to sail away for a while with Jack Sparrow… I know, who doesn’t love Jack Sparrow? *daydreams*

After reading… and reading… and reading some more I decided that this wasn’t what I expected. I was looking for more adventure and the book was lacking it. I decided to finish it though because it’s a classic and all but I do admit that I made a mistake with this one.

Robert Louis Stevenson just takes the fun out of the story. It had potential and it all went to Hell. So thanks Mr. Stevenson, you did a good job on this one. Oh and seriously if you have trouble falling asleep or anything just grab Treasure Island, it’ll cure your insomnia damn easily.

Heh I couldn’t help myself and I had to make this advertisement. Hell, here I come!

I don’t want to be mean and give it a bad review but the story is mediocre. I know it’s a classic and all and I shouldn’t be expecting comic book action but I can’t help feeling bored with it. Call me names but I can’t give it a good score. It would be a lie. The keyword for this book? Lifeless.

Read this review on ZombieHazard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treasure Island.

07/19/2011
07/22/2011
51.0% "Treasure Island - Y U NO FUN?!?!"
07/23/2011
74.0% "O.o"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored Wow! Demolished it! I love the picture btw :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer Every time I was lying in bed and reading it I fell asleep! How sick is that?!?!

Thanks for the pic btw :))

Aly is so frigging bored Well, now you don't need sleeping pills :))

Anzu The Great Destroyer Yep! A natural solution I tell you! :))

But still damn the guy he ruined my summer fun!!! :(

Aly is so frigging bored You know there are some romances with pirates yes? I hate them, but I've read some anyway...

Anzu The Great Destroyer They're good? :D

Aly is so frigging bored Uhm.. Some of them :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer Will I miss stuff if I skip? :))

Aly is so frigging bored Nope :D usually not :))

message 10: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Usually? :))

Aly is so frigging bored 85-90% of the time? :))

message 12: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I could live with that :))

Aly is so frigging bored That way you finish 'em faster and you have more time to read others :))

message 14: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Exactly! :)) Good plan :))

Aly is so frigging bored Always see the good part =))

message 16: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer See? I'm letting you have the last word.

_________ (insert last word here)

Aly is so frigging bored God, you just can't help yourself :))

message 18: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer .....

message 19: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Lofl. This is hysterical.

message 20: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer *evil laugh* :D

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

No adventure....mediocre ....what?!?

message 22: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Yep. Bored me to death.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I felt like a pirate when reading this novel and .....I enjoy feeling like a pirate. It's fun.

message 24: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer I love pirate tales, I'm currently reading The 13 Lives of Captain Bluebear and it's loads of fun.

Michaela lol That picture made me laugh so hard! Even if I can't possibly agree with it lol :D

Tricia Bayer-burkholder Reading it aloud to my boys every night. This was our first "chapter book" reading experience and they don't seem to like it and I don't seem to be able to get into it. Maybe you must read this as a child first? I have to agree with you. It's ok, but it's not in my top books. I DO have about 50 pages left though. We are determined to make it through the whole book.

message 27: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Tricia wrote: "Reading it aloud to my boys every night. This was our first "chapter book" reading experience and they don't seem to like it and I don't seem to be able to get into it. Maybe you must read this a..."

Maybe reading it as a kid would have been better. Too late to find out.. Hope you manage to finish it ^^

Zachariah Perhaps you were disheartened by the heavy use of technical sailing terms? I'm no seaman but I enjoyed looking up all the terms. I thought that Treasure Island was perhaps as realistic as a Pirate tale could be. I find the events as they play out in the novel to be quite believable. I suppose you were looking for something more like Pirates of the Caribbean (film) than...a crew of gentlemen and honest hands holed up in a destitute wooden fortress discussing the realness of their situation..low provisions, wounded men, mutineers with an unknown amount of ammunition, a lost ship, etc.

message 29: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Zachariah wrote: "Perhaps you were disheartened by the heavy use of technical sailing terms? I'm no seaman but I enjoyed looking up all the terms. I thought that Treasure Island was perhaps as realistic as a Pirate ..."

I guess I did :)

Kusanar I could not agree with your review more! I also laughed pretty hard at your 'advertisement' for the book also put me to sleep, and I NEVER fall asleep while reading.

message 31: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Kusanar wrote: "I could not agree with your review more! I also laughed pretty hard at your 'advertisement' for the book also put me to sleep, and I NEVER fall asleep while reading."

I'm glad I'm not alone on this!

message 32: by Bukk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bukk Honest question. Are you 11?

Whereismymind i fell asleep while reading all the time! XD

Benja At least you got a joke out of it.

message 35: by Bukk (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bukk I predicted the very last line (or at least something having to do with modern run of the mill zombie fixation) from the very first paragraph. I like when that happens.

Lauren Oh thank goodness! I thought something was wrong w./ me b/c I didn't like it!