Elise Wilson's Reviews > The Frontiersman's Daughter

The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz

Nov 13, 10

Read from November 12 to 13, 2010

In her debut novel, Frantz delves into the history of Kentucke, late 1700s. The story is told mostly in the context of the adventures of its heroine, Lael Click, an interesting character to say the least. Lael is an independent spirit (some call "wild"), unconventional (ahead of her times for a young woman) and she is (self-described), "fickle." Did I mention fickle? Okay. I believe the only constant in Lael's life is her deep love of home and family.

And this is what I most appreciated about the story -- reading the rich history and learning about and reveling in the warmth and love that characterized family and community, amid hardships. I came to simply adore the community matriarch and "doctor", Ma Horn. Frantz writes with such vivid detail, you can imagine being there, partaking of her herbs and wisdom.

The author, however, leaves a few questions unanswered. Some other reviewers have alluded to them, so I won't repeat them here -- nor do I want to be a "spoiler".

I read Frantz's second book, "Courting Morrow Little" prior to reading this one. And I personally like the second book best. I also wrote a review of it. That being said both books are well-written and importantly, even though both tell Kentucke history, they are quite different. It boils down to reader preference. So, I highly recommend you read both and judge for yourself. As for me, I'm waiting with baited breath for Frantz newest offering, scheduled to come out in Spring/Summer 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frontiersman's Daughter.