Kathryn's Reviews > The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft: Dreams of Terror and Death

The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft

Nov 21, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, 2000, reread-books
Read from November 12 to 19, 2010 , read count: 2

First Recorded Reading: October 4, 2000

Of these three short story collections of H. P. Lovecraft published by Del Rey (this one, The Best of H. P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre by H. P. Lovecraft, Introduction by Robert Bloch, and The Transition of H. P. Lovecraft: The Road to Madness by H. P. Lovecraft, Introduction by Barbara Hambly), I like this one the best, as the dream fiction always makes me wish that my dream world was more exciting than it is. So, it goes without saying, for those not wishing to read further, that I very much enjoyed the reading of this book, and recommend it to all lovers of H. P. Lovecraft.

I did have an advantage in reading this book after the previous two books, in that two of the stories (“The Silver Key” and “The Dreams in the Witch-House”) were in one of the other books, so that I did not have to read them again. To a certain degree, all of the stories in this collection deal with dreams, either to fabled lands sounding like something out of Middle-Earth, or to those regions of reality (or unreality, if you prefer) that are outside of our four-dimensional word. (It is notable, though, that by and large, there are no female figures in any of the dreams; it is probably just as well, or else the dreams might have sounded like something out of John Norman’s world of Gor, which I avidly read as a teenager, and which I recognized even then was misogynist to a fault.) In both worlds, the Gods of Earth are fairly impotent and / or inept, and are guarded by the Other Gods, who do not think too much of the feeble Gods of Earth, and think even less of Man.

My favorite story in this collection is, and for a long time always has been, “The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath”, in which the hero (there can be no other word for him) criss-crosses the Lands of Dream in an effort to find Unknown Kadath, where the Gods of Earth rule. Also, I love cats, and this story has cats, as does “The Cats of Ulthar”. “The Case of Charles Dexter Ward” suffers from a very long buildup to a very obvious conclusion, but has the merit of ending in a most unexpected way.

I am now done with reading of H. P. Lovecraft for awhile; at least until Christmas, or thereabouts, when I should be able to purchase my very own copy of H.P. Lovecraft: The Fiction, from the Library of Essential Writers series. (And even if I do, I will not toss my Del Ray paperback short story collections; the covers are too fun to dispose of.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft.

11/12/2010 page 0