David 's Reviews > Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry

Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership by Ruth Haley Barton

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: christian-life-and-spirituality, ministry
Read in November, 2010

This was a decent book; I probably would give it 2.5 stars. It deserves to be read slowly and it will cause Christian leaders to pause and take time to consider the state of their soul. If readers spend more time in solitude after reading this book, it is a success. Barton uses the story of Moses as the frame for the chapters which at times made me wonder whether the lessons here could not have come from a non-Christian perspective? In other words, as great as Moses is as an example, Christians begin and end with Jesus. Barton did this at times but I think too much of the book was more a call to be like Moses than Jesus.

One irritant with this book is that a few of her illustrations are either questionable or wrong. She uses the movie Braveheart as an illustration but gets the scene she is describing completely wrong. This is not a big deal in the grand scheme of the book, but noticeable enough to be a distraction and cast question on the validity of her other illustrations.

Overall, it is a good book. There are good lessons for leadership and I suspect I may return to this book one day. I definitely am inspired to spend more time in solitude after reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership.