Anita's Reviews > Cast in Silence

Cast in Silence by Michelle Sagara

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-traditional
Read in December, 2011

This series is hit-or-miss for me. Loved the 1st, 3rd, and 4th books - hated the 2nd and 5th. This is the 5th, and what it has in common with the 2nd is a whole lot of confusing pages devoted to magic rooms that are attached to magic words called runes. The heroine was born with runes decorating her skin, making her very special. That concise description doesn't make it sound so bad, but the way the author drags it out and contradicts herself makes the reading experience completely frustrating. Just let Kaylin out of the damn magic rooms so she can interact with other characters and save the day with her friends - those are the good books in the series. So I hated this one, but I have the next in the series already, so I'll keep reading for now.

Spoiler ahead:

This is the one where you learn what happened to Kaylin between fleeing Nightshade and entering the city of Elantra, while she lived in Barren. Seven years later, she's sent back to Barren to investigate some very bad omens there, with the eventual goal of stopping the shadows from spreading throughout the city. She goes with the dragon Tiamaris, who eventually claims a hoard of his own.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Silence.