K's Reviews > The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays

Nov 12, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: essaysandargument
Read from November 12 to 17, 2010

Only read The Myth of Sisyphus, not the "other essays." Sisyphus certainly starts off with a bang -- got goosebumps at the first sentence: "There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide." Camus begins with the assumption that everything we do is bottom line pointless and that there is a horrible absurd disjunct between our hope for a unified, rational existence and what is in fact the case. Once we realize this truth, we have various options, such as killing ourselves, deliberately deluding ourselves about life having a point with religion or science, or facing up to the absurdity and live on, without hope, but without giving up, like the Greek uphill boulder roller Sisyphus. Camus advocates the Sisyphus route, as an ultimate, agressive, but somewhat affectionate "fuck you" to the universe. I guess I believe both the premise and general conclusion of this essay, but did not feel terribly invigorated or seduced by Camus' writing or whatever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays.