Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot

American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson

3920693
Mar 24, 14

Read in November, 2010

Rating: 4* of five

I like Craig Ferguson because he's got that knowing edge to his humor, he's letting us in on the joke, he's not just cracking wise. So that's why my review gives his memoir 4 stars:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American on Purpose.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways *pops champers cork* Yay for liking it!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Which is such a pleasure to me. He has that accessible, friendly quality that makes some people a pleasure to watch on TV.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Thank you most kindly!

message 4: by John (new)

John McNee Point of order: He grew up in Cumbernauld, not Glasgow. That may not sound like a big difference, but it's like the difference between growing up in Detroit and New York for a Scottish person.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Jamie Lynn wrote: "He also had a Protestant and Catholic background. I know that's not easy over there either."

Puzzling to me why it's so much more important in a society that's so much more secular than American society is.

John wrote: "Point of order: He grew up in Cumbernauld, not Glasgow. That may not sound like a big difference, but it's like the difference between growing up in Detroit and New York for a Scottish person."

Duly noted. Where is Cumbernauld?

message 6: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes Sounds like fun. I had no clue that he even existed as an actual human being before his late, late show gig.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Will wrote: "Sounds like fun. I had no clue that he even existed as an actual human being before his late, late show gig."

I suspect yours is a non-TV-viewer's perspective, since his Drew Carey Show stint was wildly popular. I wasn't aware of it, either, until I read the book.

message 8: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes Nice to know that he has an actual cellular structure. I have always very much enjoyed his show.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Will wrote: "Nice to know that he has an actual cellular structure. I have always very much enjoyed his show."

I figure he's a sophisticated AI interface. No one on TV is *really* from Scotland.

message 10: by Will (new)

Will Byrnes Aye, Laddie