Kelli Lee's Reviews > Feed

Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: zombies, post-apocalyptic, speculative-fiction
Recommended for: everyone
Read from March 20 to 30, 2011

Feed was interesting, to say the least. While reading, I’ve been wont to skim if the material is boring me to tears. Then, if it becomes too much, in lieu of skimming, I simply stop reading. I have to say that the beginning of Feed dragged a bit. This phenomenon occurred after the protagonists Georgia and Shaun Mason and zombies were introduced along with the setup/background. But something strange happened - I continued reading. I did not skim. Whatsoever.

Before I get into why, I’m going to start off by saying that I despise politics. The story itself follows a few bloggers on a presidential campaign trail. At times I felt like I was watching CNN news coverage. Which is obviously how it was supposed to be read. Snoozefest. With that said, it was a miracle that I didn't once skim over any of the text within Feed. If this had been another book, I would have quit reading. However, I loved the dynamic duo comprised of sister and brother Georgia and Shaun. I was drawn in by these for a a few reasons: their fierce closeness and their dedication and passion to blogging to the world about events as a result of the Kellis-Amberlee outbreak. They tell the truth. What isn’t there to like about individuals like them? True whistle-blowers. They trumped my dislike of the campaign trail.

Starting around page 250 some actiony things happened, especially the last 200 pages. And from there it became unputdownable for me, only because as stated above, I do not like politics.

What I love is how the virus is totally believable. Maybe not so much the zombies and reanimation (who knows what Big Brother has created that society isn't privy to?), but more like what happens when scientists play God and mess around with things they shouldn’t. This book goes into just that. Add in zombies to the mix, and you have a scary world, very, very much like our own (sans zombies) that author Mira Grant has created.

Mad props go to Grant for her attention to detail and the countless hours of research logged to create a believable virus and explain what happens to individuals upon infection. A tip of the hat to you, Mira.

And finally, I knew I was connected to this novel and the characters when I cried (re: bawled). I will not give away any spoilers, but there are some tender/emotional scenes that Grant did an awesome job at writing. It completely translated off the pages for me. And pissed me off in the process. I don’t cry easily when it comes to novels, but when I do, it is indicative of me not only loving the book, but the characters as well. And one more thing. I loved the blog entries that each chapter ended with.

I would recommend that everyone read Feed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

03/21/2011 page 56
10.0% "I'm liking you Feed. I'm liking you a lot!"
03/24/2011 page 250
44.0% "Ohmygod, following a president around on the campaign trail and reading every soporific detail is growing tedious. It's a good thing zombies are interspersed. When are they going to feast on the president?"
03/27/2011 page 423
74.0% "Finally the story picked up and redeemed itself." 3 comments
03/28/2011 page 540
95.0% "Damn you Feed for making me tear up!"
show 4 hidden updates…