713Josh's Reviews > Uncle Tom's Children

M_50x66
Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: 7th-grade-books, 7th-grade-books-i-loved
Read from November 12 to December 01, 2010

Overall, this book was very well written and equally horrifying. It did a great job of showing how unjust and scary life was for African Americans in the south in the Jim Crow Era. I was especially engaged with the story about Big Boy. Having to sit in a ditch while strangling a dog and hearing your friend dying without being able to do anything it must have been the worst feeling in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncle Tom's Children.

11/12/2010 page 20
6.0% "This book is very interesting so far. It is a little hard to read because of the abreviations and southern dilect. The racism that Wright describes is so terrible. This book is doing a goodjob of showing just how hard it was for African Americans in the South"
11/17/2010 page 43
13.0% "Wow! Moving. This novelette shows how african americans in the south were constantly in bad situations. If they react like Bobo and Big Boy did, they may not have had a choice. The man was going to shoot Big Boy if he didn't do it first. I don't think that Bobo and Big Boy will get away from the lynch mob, unfortunately."
11/17/2010 page 43
13.0% "Wow! Moving. This novelette shows how african americans in the south were constantly put in bad situations by white, former slave owners and others who were just racist. If they react like Bobo and Big Boy did, they may not have had a choice. The man was going to shoot Big Boy if he didn't do it first. I don't think that Bobo and Big Boy will get away from the lynch mob, unfortunately."
11/18/2010 page 55
16.0% "This lynching is so cruel. Oh god, it makes me tremble. Imagine having to sit silently in a hole in the ground while you hear your friend being tarred and feathered. To top it off, Big Boy knows that he might have the same fate as his friend. --And he is seriously thirsty. This would be one of the most stressful events that a man could go through and witness."
11/18/2010 page 65
19.0% "(It's the second novella) Mann has a really hard life. He is a poor, African American man living in the south with a family of a few children, a brother, a mother and a wife who is having no success delivering their child. Not to mention that because of the flood that hit the town, he is stranded in his house, surrounded by rising water."
11/21/2010 page 65
19.0% "Mann is a very interesting character. He is probably not as religous as his mother would like him to be. For example, he wanted the minister to stop giving the prayer so that he could leave. He is still a righteos man for the most part. There are points where he thinks about himself more than others, but for the most part he thinks about other people miore than himself."
11/22/2010 page 80
24.0% "Wow. Mann killed the postman! It was self defense, but the white people will probably lynch him. It's such a cruel world......"
11/22/2010 page 84
25.0% "both stories follow the same plot turns. 1.Poor african americans do something minor that they should not do. 2.They shoot a white man in self defense.3 Something bad happens to the african Americans(lynching, having to run away etc.) as I predict will happen to Mann unfortunately. I think that these stories are a comment on how hard life is and was in the past for African Americans."
11/22/2010 page 105
31.0% "This moment is a moral test that could save Mann's life or potentially end it. He could tell the African American driver about the shooting and leave them to die, or he could save them and probably get lynched. I hope he leaves them to die."
11/23/2010 page 125
37.0% "Wow. I am utterly shocked. Mann ran away from the armed guards intentionally running toward his death. This really paints a clear picture of life for the African American Man in the south, not too long ago. I think the main idea of both stories is that racism blinds people and in the south, African Americans had no voice."
11/28/2010 page 125
37.0% "So far, I think I see what the author is getting at. If you are an African American in the south, the way people look at you is different and there is no justice for you."
11/28/2010 page 133
40.0% "This man does not seem like a good person. I wonder why he is being so nice to the mother. He wants something else... I wonder what it is"
11/28/2010 page 138
41.0% "THis is bad... He basically raped her. She was trying to get away from him, but he would not let her. She feels guilty. -Like it was her fault. I wonder why. I wonder if Sylus, her husband will find out."
11/28/2010 page 143
43.0% "Why is Sylus blaming her for what the man did. Even so, her husband is pretty enraged... and I would be. But he is showing that he does not really love her if he's taking his anger out on her. I think that knowing Sylus, this story will certainly end in violence."
11/28/2010 page 157
47.0% "This book is summed up in a sentence the reverend said. "All fer the white man... and none for the" african american. It was a bitter note on life for te african american in the south while this book was written. It is becoming and has become much less so, but we still must strive forward"
11/28/2010 page 175
52.0% "Even reverend Taylor, a very respected reverend among his community has to talk to the mayor like he is the mayor's servant or a boy. From what i've read in this book, if an african american spoke to a white man as an equal, there would be trouble and a lot of it."
11/29/2010 page 170
51.0% "Interesting dialect. Reds must mean communist. Many writers of this time like Langston Hughes were communist, and I'm pretty sure Richard Wright is also communist."
11/30/2010 page 170
51.0% "The reverend is a good man. He is always selfless and doing what he thinks is best for his followers. I respect him for being confrontational. Even so, I think that he has seen to much racism and it has changed him. I didn't like how he talked to the mayor. He was not confrontational, and spoke to the mayor like he was his master."
12/01/2010 page 203
60.0% "The most cruel thing about that whipping was that they made him talk and pray. He showed much courage in talking against the white folks."
12/01/2010 page 220
65.0% "They marched and it worked. The fact that the mayor had to approach Taylor for help says a lot."
12/01/2010 page 225
67.0% "This story is interesting. Her sons are communist so, she is too. Her son is in prison and her other sun is out organizing a meeting. Nothing says that you love your child more than supporting and letting their beliefs flourish."
12/01/2010 page 223
66.0% "Sue and Johnny-boy have a unique relationship which needs not much talking. They seem to understand each other beyond words."
12/01/2010 page 235
70.0% "Sue's sending her son out to die probably. She's basically letting his life get away for what he believes. This shows that she believes in him. I also thing she believes in legacy and he had left behind and was still working on one as a fighter for Black rights."
12/01/2010 page 239
71.0% "Sue show's a whole lot of courage, speaking to the white men like she is. Saying things like- get out of my house. I certainly hope they don't beat her."
12/01/2010 page 245
73.0% "I think that she should trust Booker. He seemed to help her and he was being nice. Even so, how diddle find out about the meeting? and How did he know the sheriff was there? Still, I think that Sue should tell him the names, because she doesn't really have a choice. She's too wreak to go and tell them not to come to the meeting alone."
12/01/2010 page 262
78.0% "It's interesting how Johnny-boys last words to his mother weren't like goodbye. They were"Why yup come Mah." This says much about their relationship. A goodbye didn't have to be said. It was given."
12/01/2010 page 263
78.0% "Wow.. Strong ending. She gave her life, and her son's life for what her son believed in. IF that's not love and nurturing, than i don't know what is."