Lisa's Reviews > Attila: The Scourge of God

Attila by William Napier

Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: own, 2010, hist-fic
Read from November 12 to 15, 2010, read count: 1

A decent beginning to a trilogy dealing with Attila the Hun, this first book deals with the making of the man as Attila spends his boyhood as a hostage in Rome, the treachery of whose inhabitants gives flame to his enmity and hasten his attempts to return to his people.

As a fictionalisation of Attila this does breathe life into the character, giving us a feel for him as a person rather than as a legendary historical figure, but fell down at times due to the use of language. I understand the reasoning behind having the characters speak in modern language, all the better for us to understand and identify with them, but it was at times a little jarring (I strongly doubt that Attila ever used the teenaged refrain 'whatever...' when dealing with anyone).

It was also a little disappointing not getting further on into Attila's story by the time the book ended, but as it's the first in a trilogy I suppose that was to be expected!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attila.

11/13/2010 page 109
23.0% "Hehe...the patrician class at the banquet sound just like the people who eat at Noss Mayo."
11/13/2010 page 168
35.0% "A smidge anachronistic, but more-ish nonetheless."
11/14/2010 page 269