Rachel Loke's Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: apr-may-2011-releases
Read from June 17 to 18, 2011

Words can't describe how much I really enjoyed reading this book. It's so so good that all I can say is: GO READ IT (:

The only reason why it's not a 5-star book is because I have some reservations about the crafting of the world in Awaken. I can't really understand why real trees cease to exist, why paper-made books are no longer available and why birds are a rare sight. The events that led to the digitalisation of the world didn't really make much sense to me. But the style of the prose, which is lyrical, moving and poignant redeemed this book for me. As well as the characters because both Justin and Maddie have their own issues to battle and I really love how they found strength in each other and how as Maddie says, you don't really see what's in front of you until someone else points it out.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Katie Kacvinsky
“It's not convenience that bothers me, it's people's obsession with saving time. Everything's a race. I just don't get who or what we're constantly racing against.”

Katie Kacvinsky
“Don't worry about hurting me, if that's what you're afraid of. I want to get hurt. At least I´ll feel something for a change.”

Katie Kacvinsky
“Some people try to tell you the things you want in life are out of your grasp, while others lift you up on their shoulders and help you reach them. I may not know a lot, but I prefer to fill my life with people who let me climb on top of their shoulders, not people who try to keep me planted on the ground.”

Katie Kacvinsky
“I was starting to think, maybe you need to feel your way more through life—just turn off the lights and follow your senses, even if you stumble once in a while. Maybe that's what falling in love is like. Just feeling your way through the darkness until you find something solid to hold on to.”

Katie Kacvinsky
“It was safe, with all the lights off and no one around to point and stare. In the night it's easy to indulge. It was just the two of us—we didn't have to think about who we were or what this meant or where it was going. It was like an escape. It's easy to forget at this moment billions of people exist and far-off galaxies are being born and stars collide. Kissing is its own kind of collision, it produces its own planetarium of lights inside your head. For me, it was like seeing colors for the first time after living in a black-and-white world. A single person can be just as wide and vast and spellbinding as any sky full of stars. They can make you think the world stops and night can last forever.",”

Katie Kacvinsky
“You need to be content with small steps. That's all life is. Small steps that you take every day so when you look back down the road it all adds up and you know you covered some distance. It took me a long time to accept that, but it's true. You need to have patience."",”

Katie Kacvinsky
“I needed him to know how I felt so I just kissed him as long as he would let me. I used to think talking was all about words. But you can say so much more with your eyes and your fingers and your touch. Words just make us one-dimensional.”

Katie Kacvinsky
“Hope and courage and risk dwell inside of us on an uncharted island and if we learn to look for it and tap into it, our possibilities are endless.”

Katie Kacvinsky
“You need to be able to fill that space on your own, Maddie. You should never have to rely on another person to make you feel whole. That life is dangerous.”

Katie Kacvinsky
“Life should be a risk. It's more than a straight line that you can see clearly from one point to the other. It dips and curves and you never know what's around the bend sometimes until you get there. That scares a lot of people. But that's the beauty of it.”
tags: life