David Workman's Reviews > Pomodoro Technique Illustrated

Pomodoro Technique Illustrated by Staffan Noteberg

Dec 31, 10

bookshelves: books-i-read-in-2010, techniques, time-management
Read from November 12 to 18, 2010

A very good book detailing a very interesting time-management technique.

This book acts as a very good introduction to the pomodoro technique and some of the reasons and theories as to why it works and is so effective. For those that haven't come across it, the pomodoro technique is a technique for time-management and focussing that suggests that the way to increase focus is to timebox your periods of intense focus into very short intervals (e.g. 25 minutes) and to use a timer (e.g. a tomato shaped kitchen timer) to ensure that you don't overrun your timebox. This very simple idea is explored in detail, along with the record keeping and task tracking aspects to ensure you are focussing on important tasks.

The book itself has a lot of illustrations, as you'd expect from a book with 'illustrated' in the title. It is also bootstrapping off the pomodoro technique in its writing style as the book is structured around very small sections that you can focus on for a few minutes, digest in a short break and then continue on the next section.

This book is very good for a beginner to both pomodoro and psychology. If you have a grounding in psychology then you will probably find the 'pop-psychology' aspects of the book simplistic and cluttering. For those that are new to both fields though, the explanations and descriptions are engaging and aimed at a simple enough level that a beginner can understand them and start using the technique usefully in a very short period of time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pomodoro Technique Illustrated.

message 1: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Moran No review? ;)

David Workman I'll get around to it, just don't have time at the moment :(

message 3: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Moran I'm going to buy a copy anyway. It's the PragProg Black Friday sale!

David Workman It's definitely worth a read :)

message 5: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash Moran I've read it now :) It was the last geeky book I finished in 2010.

It's actually encouraged me to try the Pomodoro technique again for solo work (although I'm still of the opinion that most non-routine work is better done paired). What I liked about this is that it puts pomodoros in the context of a self-improvement feedback loop. I was (pleasantly) surprised to see PDCA here :-)