Kyla Middleton's Reviews > Pictures of Hollis Woods

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff

F_50x66
Nov 12, 10

Read in October, 2010

This book, I believe is one that is both emotional and entertaining. The main character Hollis Woods faces the hard life of being a foster kid. Her mother abandoned her when she was only a baby, so she lives her life everyday feeling alone and unaccepted. Hollis feels like she has no place in the world. She believes that since her mother gave her up, she was not good enough for her or anyone else on planet earth. Hollis goes from home to home, and every time, with every family, it just does not work out.

A little luck comes along for Hollis when she meets and gets adopted by the Regan family. The Regan family is genuinely kind to Hollis; they take her in and quickly make her a part of the family. They have a beautiful home and an amazing life for Hollis could of been experienced with the Reagans, but Hollis chooses to leave them , simply because she does not feel like she belong. Hollis left the Regans, but with her she took some great experiences. The Reagans have an irrevocable passion for art and they express their feelings and life experiences through drawing. Hollis has always loved art, but after living with the Reagans, she begins to appreciate it on a higher level.

Hollis draws almost everyday after leaving the Reagans. The world seems to be on Hollis' side for once when she meets her new foster mother, Josie. Hollis loves Josie and she feels like she has finally found her true home with Josie. Josie is an elderly woman though, and she is beginning to lose her memory. If social services finds this out, the will take Hollis away from Josie. This story is about Hollis' fight to keep the place where she finds true happiness, genuine love, and accept ion. This story is about Hollis' fight to stay home, where she belongs.

I enjoyed this novel. I love Hollis' headstrong mentality, and how no matter what negative problems may come her way, she is ready to solve them. I find this novel very entertaining because of the fact that Hollis is fighting for her new found life that she loves; but i also find it entertaining because of the strong bond that Hollis and Josie share. This novel is written in a simplistic form, I feel, but the message it sends out is so powerful. Throughout the book I feel Hollis' pain and desperation, and I can really relate to her. This is also what I like about the book, I feel like the author makes Hollis a relatable character simply because it seems like she can never win, and all of us have experienced failing or rejection before, so everytime she feels down in the book, I feel her pain with her. I really did enjoy this book, and I feel many other people will too. I feel that it is a novel of perserverance and hope, and I hope you plan to read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pictures of Hollis Woods.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Ambrose 50/50. I'm glad that you enjoyed this book! I may have to check it out!