Flannery's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: tbr-scb-2011, kcls, paranormal, young-adult-teen, read-in-2011, reviewed-2011
Recommended to Flannery by: SCB TBR 2011 - Pick Three; Jess
Recommended for: YA urban fantasy readers, Buffy fans
Read from March 04 to 07, 2011

When you look at the cover of this book, what do you think it is about? A blond teenage girl is wearing a prom dress in a field of pussy willows or wheat or something equally nonsensical. Here's a new cover that crushes the actual book cover on the relevancy front (though regrettably not in terms of artistic merit):

I mean, I went into this thinking it was going to be another YA paranormal romance and IT ISN'T. It is decidedly fun YA urban fantasy book. (jacket copy reading is for losers) It has a pretty kickass heroine, mermaids, werewolves (that may or MAY look like an Ewok in my picture), people made of water, people made of fire, vampires, trolls, nymphs, faeries, and everything else you can think of. Why would you trick your audience with the wheat field?

I digress. Evie has lived in the Center for as long as she can remember. She was picked up at the age of three and put through the foster system until the IPCA (Int'l Paranormal Containment Agency) realizes that she can see through glamours produced by all paranormals. As a vital asset, she goes out to bag-and-tag all sorts of beings for the agency. Things get a little dicey when all sorts of paranormals are being killed, the Center is invaded, and some faeries are being total douchebags. Speaking of faeries, Reth sounds like a noise someone makes when they are choking on something. Reeeth...Reeeeth...I'm retching here, it's too bad you can't hear it.

I felt like the last third or so wasn't as strong as the rest of the book. The story moved at a relaxed but appealing pace until a total break occurred and then it was out of whack. (view spoiler) Fun, sure, but I was perfectly happy with the natural pacing of the relationship--I was glad it wasn't going into trite YA foreverlove territory, and it still didn't...but it did get a little cheesified.

Kiersten White has a great sense of humor. Her characters were funny and fans of Buffy will definitely find something appealing about the friendships and storyline. I'm excited to see where it goes in the second book--Supernaturally.(which, incidentally, has Evie in a red dress and with some red (and probably completely irrelevant) flowers on the cover)

(view spoiler) 3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

03/04/2011 page 78
show 1 hidden update…

Lora I really liked this one. Happy reading. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) People are saying great things about this book. I can't wait to hear your oppinion.

Jessica Great review, Flann! I'm glad you were happy with my pick :D

message 4: by Nomes (new)

Nomes hahaha. this review rocks

Lyndsey Hahahaaha! Awesome picture!! Wait, I'm confused..... Is that a huge ball of yarn next to Evie? Hmmmmmm.

Flannery Of course it is! You don't remember that part of the book?! (view spoiler)

Lyndsey (view spoiler) Whatever floats your magic imaginary ball of yarn.

Flannery I wish my ball of yarn was here right now so I could kick you through it.

Lyndsey Are there hot faeries in there? If so, I'd go through willingly.

Flannery I know you would. But there isn't. Like I would even send you to a nice place. It's just an entire realm filled with multi-colored yarn. It's a place where you can contemplate criticizing people about their drawings of faerie doors.

Flannery BTDubs, what am I supposed to draw again? Did you finish that book?

Lyndsey I like yarn.

Flannery Great! Then it will be perfect for you!

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic LOL love your review Flannery. And agree Reth does make you want retch!

Vinaya You're so adorable. Even if you haven't read any of the books I TOLD you to read! But as usual, fab job with the Paint. And for some reason, I always think Scarlett Johanssen would look perfect on that cover. I think if there was ever a Paranormalcy movie, I'd want Scarlett to be whatsherface.

Chichipio Why is the ewok dude going all jazz hands on us? And, is the water dude laughing at him or is he just a happy guy in general? Oh, the mysteries of art…

Damn your use of spoilers! I had to let go of the mouse so I couldn't click them. (view spoiler)

Vinaya Chichipio wrote: "Why is the ewok dude going all jazz hands on us? And, is the water dude laughing at him or is he just a happy guy in general? Oh, the mysteries of art…"

The water dude is a dudette. Just thought you'd want to know.

Chichipio Oh, now I get it. It's sexism, then, pure and simple. She's feeling a bit superior, isn't she? Well, I don't see a sandwich there so I don't know what she's smiling about. For the same reason, I totally understand the guy's straight mouth.

Just kidding. I'm not sending anyone to make sandwiches. (view spoiler)

Flannery @V--nu uh! The water dude is a dude! The fire dude is a dudette. (view spoiler) The water dude has a smile on because he gets a little action and the fire dudette has a straight face because (view spoiler) And I WILL read the books you want me to. I promise!!

Now I want a sandwich. Thanks a lot, C.

Flannery And everything is better with jazz hands.

Vinaya Ohhhh, mix-up alert!!! I thought Chich was talking about Lish! Is the blue water dude supposed to be Lend?

Flannery Yep. The author talks all the time about how he feels like water (view spoiler)

Lyndsey Oh and for the record - that werewolf looks nothing like an Ewok. Trust me, I KNOW Ewoks!! (view spoiler)

Lyndsey Actually, it kind looks like this little guy called an Aye-aye.

message 25: by Flannery (last edited Mar 08, 2011 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flannery It totally does!
[image error]
Jazz hands and all!

Lyndsey It doesn't have enough chubbiness or chest hair to be an ewok. Too skinny. Much too skinny.

Chichipio Oh God, please tell me that the aye-aye thing lives only in some crazy FX guy's head. Please, please, don't let it be real!

Lyndsey Buhwahahahahha!! It is real. Only nature could create something so cute-ugly! Well, or maybe George Lucas.

message 29: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora (view spoiler)

I think your cover looks better than the real one. ;) Awesome review, Flann. :)

message 30: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle every review should come with an alternate cover like this! :)

Dominika ahahaha! love the new cover ♥♥♥♥ great review! hope they publish the paperback version faster!

message 32: by Lucy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lucy Great review - I felt the same about this book, it's a fun read. Love your alternate cover too, especially the mermaid!

Nicole Nice review, and I love the added bonus of entertaining comments. Not sure if I recall the ensemble when Evie wears giant black basketball boots with a dress...:P

Flannery She wears (or think of wearing!) combat boots!

message 35: by Catie (new)

Catie Huh! I had been avoiding this book, but I might read it now! Thanks!

message 36: by Gloria (last edited Apr 01, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

Gloria Mundi I thought those were ghosts and demons in the picture but water and fire people sounds cool too. Do they kill each other on contact?

I saw this in the supermarket the other day. They put YA in the children's section so it was right next to the Gruffalo.

I always find it bizarre how they do that but the contrast is quite amuzing.

Flannery Hahaha, no they don't. It's a little hard to explain without reading it but they are only sort of made of water and fire--it's how they appear to someone in the story.

They sell this at the supermarket? Ours mostly only sell major blockbusters and mass-market romances:-/

Genesis Blue Love the revised cover! :D

Victoria Parkins LMAO i love the colur.. it's perfect

message 40: by Aarone (new)

Aarone the author should have had you make the cover! love it!

Flannery Thanks, though I suspect their cover artists have a lot more skill than I do...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Hay there ^^ Great review and the English cover really doesn't fit the story. Maybe you wanna have a look at the German Cover, because that cover totally DOES!

message 43: by Flannery (last edited Jul 30, 2011 12:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flannery Am I missing something? Are you being sarcastic? I can't believe they translated the title to "Flames N' Roses." What do those things have to do with this story? I am now utterly baffled.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah... The title sucks. xD The added "prefer living paranormal" is even worse...

But I meant the cover. I think it's fits the story way more then the English version.

message 45: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby Great cover, LOL! @Amelie - that translation totally confuses me. What in the world?? I really liked Evie's character for the most part. Flannery, do you have any recommendations for other books with strong female leads? So far I have only one YA novel I can wholeheartedly recommend: The Next Thing I Knew. I also like the Stieg Larsson novels because that chick kicked ass!

Flannery Thanks, Abby. I thought Evie was lots of fun in this one but she disappointed a bit in the second installment. If you are into fantasy, you should check out Finnikin of the Rock. All of Marchetta's novels are fabulous. (Jellicoe Road can be hard to get into at first) I'm assuming you've read the whole Hunger Games trilogy because everyone and their dog has read that. Graceling and its sequel were both fun YA fantasy with a pretty strong female heroine. And Tamora Pierce's books are filled with strong female leads. A series that has the same feel as Paranormalcy is the Hex Hall series.

I'd never heard of The Next Thing I Knew! Thanks!

message 47: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby Adding all those to my shelf. Thanks so much!! Wish I had more to recommend but my book budget has been shot to poo lately so I've been sticking with all the $.99 ebooks I can find.

That's it! I'm marching into my boss's office and demanding a raise!! ;)

Flannery Do you have a good library nearby?

message 49: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby I do but I have a Kindle and was under the impression those aren't library friendly.

message 50: by Flannery (last edited Sep 16, 2011 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flannery Oh, that's true. I have a Kindle as well. I read regular books from the library:-/ I am addicted to stocking up stuff on my Kindle, though, and it is sad that we can't get stuff from the library in that format.

« previous 1