Alex Nguyen's Reviews > The Basketball Diaries

The Basketball Diaries by Jim Carroll

U 50x66
Feb 02, 11

Read in October, 2010

The Basketball Diaries is a diary entry of the life of Jim Carroll in the mid-1960s, during his teenager days. He was a rebellious teenager making a name for himself in the streets of New York City with his peeps. He played basketball, hustled, stole, got high, got hooked on drugs, and was in search of something pure. This diary entry restored the 1960s back to the modern century. It is unbelievable how life was different back then compare to today. After reading that book, it made me realize how lucky I am to be able to live now, and not back then. Life was rough, dangerous, and risky back in the 1960s, and I'm surprised how kids needed to quickly grow up to become a man, or else die as a child. Life was unexpected back then, and I could of easily picked it up in the book. Every diary entry was a new adventurous day in his life as a teenager. It truly surprises me how violence and drugs was such a big thing back then; how kids grew up in those bad conditions and was still able to survive and make something out of their life. All they did was did drugs, and if they couldn't afford it, they robbed people. It wasn't so uncommon back in the days, and that was the thing that surprised me the most. They robbed innocent bystanders everyday in their life just to get a “hit”. It disgusts me, but at the same thing, I can't but feel remorse and pity for them. After reading those sections, I gently put the book down on the floor, and I actually think for a whole five minutes imagining my life if I was like that, but I couldn't. I couldn't imagine myself like that, because today's standards are much higher for teenagers.
I will recommend this book to anyone who doesn't like reading. It is intersecting, and not boring, I'll tell you that. Every page is filled with things a normal teenager would do in the 1960s, or mostly normal. The book really doesn't have a plot or any real concept, and that's why it can relate to people who does not like reading. You don't have to get every single important event, because everything page is filled with things Carroll did. For me, I didn't read one page a day, I read twenty pages a day for ten days straight. I had to finish reading this book, and at first, I thought I had to force myself to read, but I didn't need to. I read it on my own free will, and I enjoyed it. Every time I get the chance to read about a different time period in someone's else eyes, I will gladly read about it. I like to learn about the life of people that have different morals, traditions, and way of thinking than me.
Reading the book was a changing experience for me, it taught me what could of happened to me if I didn't have my family to support me. It showed me the importance of a well built family connection. It might sound corny, but it's true. One day, when your friends aren't there for you, your family is. It doesn't matter who loves you, it only matters if your family does, and that's what really matters. Your friends can build up bad habits, and that could lead to peer pressure, but your family would never do such a thing to harm you. That's what I found out after reading the book. In it, I never found Carroll talk about his mother once, the only exception is when he goes to juvenile prison, and tells the readers how his mother won't visit him. It's kinda sad if you ask me, if only him and his mother was a little closer, he wouldn't be in there alone and by himself. That's why family is the only thing you can trust and depend on for the rest of your life. Not your bros, or your crew, but your family. This includes your mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, cousins, and even your grandparents. Anyone that is blood related to you is a family. A family will never turn you down in a time of need, and will always try to help you. That's why families are made, to look after one another, and to care for one another. A family is a defensive mechanism to combat all the challenges you will face in the future, and they will always be there for you. Always.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Basketball Diaries.

message 1: by David (new)

David Ambrose 45/50 on your review. I'm glad you liked the book!