Chris Kelly's Reviews > Heirs of Mars

Heirs of Mars by Jordan Lockhart

M 50x66
Nov 11, 10

Read in November, 2010

Heirs of Mars is a very interesting book. The characters are all engaging and very human (even the not technically human ones). There were no "heroes" and few "villains." Everyone was grey, with lots of darkness in them; I think grounding the book in such life-like characters helped bring alive the setting.

The setting is where the book excelled. Joseph Robert Lewis has clearly put a lot of thought into what life on Mars would truly be like - from depressed kids to falling birth rates, from being paid in food credits or bandwidth, to the effect clones would have on a population. His descriptions of the Mars colony are so realistic he might almost have been there. On description alone, Heirs deserved a 5 star rating.

But I had issues with the book. Admittedly, these were issues I brought with me. I expected the clones to be clone-like. I expected the robots to be terminator-like. By the end of the book I'd decided the clones were more like shop mannequins with human brains inside them, and I'm still not entirely sure what the robots were like. I'm imagining the robots now like the ones in the Will Smith film "I, Robot." I arrived at the book with preconcieved notions, and Lewis did nothing to dispell them. The great descriptions I mentioned above are kept for the setting, and the robots and clones are not often described.

Despite this, it's a fantastic book, and I have no hesitations in recommending it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heirs of Mars.