Chris's Reviews > London: The Biography

London by Peter Ackroyd

Nov 11, 2010

bookshelves: ackroyd, london, history-english

Dear Mr. Ackroyd,

Will you marry me? I know you're gay, and I'm a woman. I understand that such details present wrinkles in the grand scheme, but I'm sure we can arrange bits on the side and whatever.

Truthfully, I don't think you are really good looking, but you sure write sexy.

I wish I had a quarter of your intelligence.

This love poem to London, for love poem it is, is wonderful. It's brillant! It's marvellous!

I think I just want to marry you so I can live in London.

Well, that and your accent.

It was a brillant idea to tell the story of London not as a linear history, but as a thematic one. It made it more interesting and the reader learns more. It also stops the book from getting dull. Instead, here come the Tudors; it's here comes the murder (or the animals, or acting or the poor). Even the length of the chapters is just right.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like Goldilocks, though she might have been from London.

I also really liked the fact that you had a whole section on birds.

Thank you for a wonderful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London.

03/06/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Karlo (new)

Karlo This made me smile. Thanks :)

message 2: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker Love the review, Chris. :-)

Chris Thanks, both of you.

message 4: by Cherie (new)

Cherie Chris, I loved this review!!!

message 5: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Hee! All those chins are really sexy, aren't they? ;-)

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Walker I just finished "Venice: Pure City" and I think the above review illustrates the complete lack of ambivalence towards Peter Ackroyd in other reviews. Plus, it's just hilarious!

iain meek Wow- a love poem to the writer of a love poem. Well done, you.

Chris Thanks!

message 9: by Alfaniel (new) - added it

Alfaniel Aldavan Sorry, Chris, I saved and I flagged this review under the new rules. Open love letters to the author are not a review about the book.

It's beautiful, and it conveys to the reader a powerful message!

However, you do understand that conformance to the rules is more important than beauty, don't you?

Chris I do. I also don't want Ackroyd to think I'm stalking him or anything. That's on the hush hush.

:hangs head in shame:

message 11: by Bettie☯ (new) - added it

Bettie☯ bad news Chris. You should keep author and book seperate lest the overlords kick you off site regardless of the sheer beauty of this

Chris There is a good side to this whole policy mess. It's wonderful watching book nerds get mad, isn't it?

message 13: by Bettie☯ (new) - added it

Bettie☯ am addicted to that thread. also interested in that new site they are thinking of setting up - bettereads for readers only. would gladly pay a subscription for that if they keep to the letter of the mission statement.

message 14: by Chiara (new) - added it

Chiara Versino You made me smile, and I remove this book from my shelf to start... reading it!

Chris Thank you!

message 16: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose Chris ... Your made me put it on my to read list. I'd scanned it in at some point. Looking forward to it.