Jerry Simmons's Reviews > Stop Dating the Church!: Fall in Love with the Family of God

Stop Dating the Church! by Joshua Harris

Nov 11, 10

Joshua Harris normally writes relationship books and is well known for the book I Kissed Dating Goodbye. In Stop Dating The Church he uses the same type of style and approach to challenge the reader in their relationship with a local church.

What type of relationship does God want you to have with a local body of believers? Joshua starts out the book looking at some parallels between dating and the way many Christians attend church. There is a great danger for the Christian who is not committed to the church.

The book goes on to examine what God thinks about the church. The obvious connection being that since the church is very important to God, the church should be very important to us as well. We are to have the mind of Christ, and He loved the church and gave Himself for her (Ephesians 5).

Another subject that the book deals with is individualism within the church. This was a thought-provoking chapter for me. Often we think that we do not need the church. As long as I am ok with Jesus I do not need anything else. We forget that the church was created by Jesus. That He created the church because we need other believers in our life, we need to serve one another and minister to one another’s needs.

The next chapters go through some important things to look for within a church and how to prepare yourself to get more out of your church experience. All in all, Joshua deals with some very important topics in this book. Although the model of ministry that Joshua follows is slightly different it some ways, every point was worth reading and praying through. I think that every believer could be blessed, encouraged and challenged by this book.

Hebrews 10:24-25, “And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stop Dating the Church!.