Kristin's Reviews > Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt

Nov 11, 2010

it was ok

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster boy was definitely a cute book. The characters were mostly stock characters though, which was disappointing. The main character, Turner, learns a lot from his father, his mother, Darwin, and the girl he meets on Malaga Island, Lizzie Bright. He learns to stand up for himself, even when it went against his parents' wishes. The theme of racism is very strong in this book, and Turner aims to fight the racism of the town elders, but ultimately fails. This book is tragic, a couple of very important characters die. The island that Turner fights for falls victim to the clutches of the town elders. Turner and his mother become outcasts in their town. It was very sad, and I'm not sure how well a child would deal with that.
The writing style itself was rather boring. It was description-heavy, dependent on imagery and metaphors about the sea. It was hard to get through, and I think would be especially hard for a young reader. The theme of baseball would probably interest any student interested in sports, but would lose the attention of another kid.
Over all, there is nothing wrong with this book, it just lacks the magnetism I believe good young adult literature needs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy.

message 1: by Nana (new)

Nana I'll tell you exactly how a child would deal with it. throw the book on the ground and stomp out of their cabin at csmp crying, and scaring their friends half to death. This is from personal experience, and why you shouldnt read it in 3rd grade