Dusty Craine's Reviews > Rooms

Rooms by James L. Rubart

May 04, 2011

Read from April 22 to May 03, 2011

I think this book is getting unfair reviews because of the fact that it's a Christian book. And while that should be obvious to someone who was browsing for books in Christian Fiction or was familiar with the author it may not be obvious to the people who grabbed the book during Barnes & Noble's Free Friday event. That Free Friday event is how I got this book. I read the blurbs. I know what I'm getting into before I download those Free Friday books. But some people just leap before they look and were obviously not this book's intended audience. But enough of that, let's get to the review.

This book is unapologetically, right up in your face about Christianity. It carries a very strong "you're either with us or you're against us" vibe, which is fine if you find yourself on the right side of that divider, but it's likely to insight some anger if you aren't. And for those of the reading public who got this book from the afore mentioned giveaway, they are likely to close the book after a few chapters. This book is definitely for the Christian viewing public.

The question becomes "Is it Christian fluff or is there something to the story?". I think it's a bit of both. There are situations in which the driven, determined, success-oriented protagonist behaves unbelievably. Despite growing up with a bit of God in his background, he has been living in the secular world for so long it seems unreasonable that he would so willingly concede the life that he'd built. But even this could be explained away by the fact that he's not faced with your average conversion event. There is something very overtly supernatural happening.

I liked the way the story juggled Micah's two lives so skillfully. This story device allowed me to be caught off guard by twists and unsure of how things were going to play out. In this regard I felt like Micah did, I didn't know what was going to happen next. Who's role would change in his life or how he'd be received. I didn't know how his life was going to change by his decisions and that gave the book a nice "just one more chapter" aspect to it.

I've read that this book is comparable to The Shack and in the regard that someone meets their maker in an abode that isn't what it seems and leaves with their life changed, it is. But I found both stories enjoyable for different reasons. I wouldn't assume to know what to expect in Rooms just because you read The Shack. If you're into Christian Fiction give James L. Rubart and Rooms a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rooms.