Tom M's Reviews > Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

May 18, 2007

it was ok
Read in May, 2007

I have never been terribly impressed with Crichton's work, but I have always been told that I must read Jurassic Park to really appreciate him.

I was not expecting much from this book, but I was disappointed nonetheless. The whole story seemed fragmented and disorganized. This was supposed to be about a sort of fantasy world created by an eccentric, wealthy man, but throughout the book I felt like It was more Michael Crichton's fantasy than anybody else's. It was as if he had several goals for this book and tried to find a not-too-ridiculous way to tie them all together.

None of the characters are developed at all. This is a chronic problem of Chrichton's, but it is much worse here than in any of the other books of his that I have read. He simply presents a character with an age, physical description, and stated profession, and then expects us to accept him/her.

I could rant for a while about this book, but allow me to wrap up with a final complaint. Chaos theory does not really apply to this story at all, yet it is woven into it to an astonishing degree. Without Ian Malcolm and chaos theory, this book would have been better and significantly shorter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jurassic Park.

02/05/2016 marked as: read